MypleStory , Next Generation of Private Server ! Forum Index
MypleStory , Next Generation of Private Server !
Welcome To MypleStory.Gonna Have SOME FUNNNNN

MypleStory , Next Generation of Private Server ! Forum IndexFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsProfileRegisterLog in

Welcome To MypleStory !! 
Welcome To the Fantastic World Of Myple Story !
Server Reborn => http://myplestory.no-ip.org 
[GUIDE] Tips for Your GM Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MypleStory , Next Generation of Private Server ! Forum Index -> MypleStory V.55 -> Do you want to join the staff ?
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Tiffy
Nice member

PostPosted: Thu 5 Jul - 11:21 (2012)    Post subject: [GUIDE] Tips for Your GM Application Reply with quote

Hey everyone, Tiffy here. I've noticed that many people are applying to be game masters on Myplestory. I'm not a GM, but as an active player on the server, I feel that who our GMs are is important to the rest of us non-GMs.
That said, I'd love to give some pointers and tips for you to have a better chance at being chosen as a GM and how to improve on your GM apps.

#1: Your GM Application
Basic Format
I don't quite agree that there should be a set "format" (ala standard and choppy "name, age, reason," etc.). Your application DOES need to include your name, your IGN, your age, your qualifications, times you are available to play, your reasons for wanting to become a GM, what you would contribute, and what being a GM could contribute to you. The last one isn't required, but when looking for a job (at least with international businesses), especially those with tough specifications, they require that you explain (sometimes in essay form) what you would be able to contribute for the company, and what the company would contribute for you. They are just as interested in you as you are in them, and the same thing goes here: we players (and Gigit, the owner, I'm sure) are interested in what you want out of being a GM. Is it just the power? Perhaps you want to help build up your 'rep' by gaining respect as a GM, and use that in other GM apps for other servers. Maybe you just love helping people or being in a managerial position. 
Beyond having those basics, I don't think the format you choose matters. 

You can write it in choppy form:

Quote:
Name: Billy
Times Available: 0:00 GMT - 24:00 GMT
Reasons for Becoming GM: I want to be the very best like no one ever was.

etc., though those tend to be very impersonal and ...choppy. Nothing flows.

You can write it in a more written, almost-essay form:

Quote:
 Hi! My name is Billy. I'm 23 years old, and I'm applying for the position of GM for Myplestory. 

etc. I think this is slightly better, because it's more personal. Everybody gets a better sense of who you are. One downside to this is that if you don't space properly (new paragraphs, new lines, etc.) it can become difficult to read.

Any way you choose to write your application, make sure it includes the basic information. If you're creative, let the creative side of you show in your application! Maybe you draw or play music. Though these skills have nothing to do with being a GM, if your application is just as good as everyone else's but you include this, it'll be a good way for you to stick out.

Sticking Out
As I touched on the last point, sticking out is a good thing! You don't want your application to be like everyone else's. What makes you special? What can you bring to the server that's new and fresh? What makes you different from other applicants? If you also want to apply for (future?) graphics artist on the forum, why not try making graphics to go along with your application? This will not only show your skill as a graphics designer, but it's also a very good way to display your application in a clear, concise, and honestly a cool way. Do you speak another language, especially one that a decent number of other players speak? We want to know this!

It helps to use colors, but to a certain limit. You don't want a new color for every point or line, and you don't want to use bold or italics or underlines where you don't need them. Look at this guide. Everything that is similar is shaded in the same color; main points are in blue, and subsections are in red. The most important parts of each section are bolded, for anybody who is skimming. Keep spacing in between points the same (either one line or two, but don't go back and forth between using a different number of lines!) A good rule for colors for almost anything is to stick to one or two, and only use three+ when it's absolutely necessary to. This way, our eyes don't jump around so much and we don't get dizzy reading your application.

Be Honest
You should be honest in your application. Nobody wants to read a cookie-cutter application that reads only what everybody WANTS to hear. Be honest! Does your internet sometimes go shoddy and kick you off for hours or even days at a time? We want to know! In some eyes, it might seem a disadvantage to you to include that in your GM app. But if you don't mention it, and problems come along later on, it'd be annoying to have a GM that is barely online despite their app saying they'd be online often. If you're still a student, maybe classes or studying for exams can keep you from playing from time to time. This shouldn't be a problem, so it would be fair for you to mention it. If you're a funny person, we want to know that. Include some humor in your application where it's tasteful. 

More is Not Necessarily Better
Getting your information across on the internet is all about being efficient. You want to say as much as you can in as little space as you can. I don't mean to tell you to use a smaller font; just be efficient! Don't ramble about another server that you were a GM on, or about your dogs. That said, make sure you include enough information! You want to be clear and concise, and to get your point across. Why do you want to be a GM? Don't settle for just a 5-word or 1-sentence answer. Don't give three paragraphs, either. Include only as much as you need to.

#2: Your Grammar and Spelling
Spell-Check is Your Friend!
This is not as important to others as it is to me, but since I'm a huge grammar nazi, I have to include it. It's not so important because I know we have people who speak English as a second language here, but it still deserves a spot.
You should always use spell-check on your application! If you still aren't sure, you could try sending it to a friend (or perhaps another GM?) to spell-check. The forum as a built-in spell-checker, so don't be afraid to use it. Make sure you capitalize and space things properly (so you type like this, And not Like This). The reason grammar is a good skill to have is because you will want to be understood by players, on the forums and in the game. Though spell-check isn't available in the game, 

Take Your Time
Again, I'm going to mention that not everybody on the server speaks English as a first language. If you don't, it can be easy to make mistakes. You don't have to rush! Take your time in typing, and take time with your application. Edit it a few times, if you need to. Take out unnecessary parts, or add in new ones. There's no need to rush! Nobody is perfect, so going back and double- or even triple-checking is not a problem. Re-read your application at least twice. Just think: who would you prefer: somebody who rushed their application (even if their spelling and grammar is perfect), or somebody who took the time to make it the best they could? The latter seems to care more about the position, and therefore somebody who spends more time on their application will probably make a better GM. 
Don't assume that a shorter application means less time was put into it, though. Wink

#3: Your Appearance
Be Active
This seems shallow, but I promise, it isn't. No, no, I don't mean how you look; I mean how other players perceive you! Are you active in the game? Did you apply for to be a GM before even downloading the game? I believe that you should at least play the server for a day or two before deciding whether or not you'd like to be a GM. Not only is this more mature, but it also gives you a chance to know the players! When I say "be active," I don't mean just on Myplestory. You should be active in the chat, even if you're not talking specifically about the game. It also doesn't hurt to be active on the forum! If you have ideas, post them! If you want to write a guide, go ahead! Do you have tutorials for quests or graphics? Share it with our server! Smile The more people see of you, especially if you're friendly, the more they will love to have you on the staff as a GM.

Be Friendly and Mature
This should be a given, but I'm including it anyway. Be friendly! Play Myplestory, and meet the other players. Talk to some GMs. Help people whenever you can, and just overall treat others the way you'd like to be treated. Not everybody is a nice person, but anybody can be friendly. As a GM, you want to be friendly, but not overly nice. This is included in how mature you are. Though the age restriction is 16+ for GMs, there are exceptions for those who are mature enough (and a younger age) just as there are people who are above the age of 16 who can be very immature. GMs shouldn't give out free items, fame, or rebirths for no reason; players shouldn't beg for them, but in the event that they do (and you have been accepted to be a GM), don't be afraid to turn them down. If you're applying to be a GM, don't beg other GMs for items or help on your application.

Be a Good Sport
Nobody likes a sour sport. When you play in the game, are do you whine if you lose an event? Would you stop playing Myplestory if your application is rejected? If so, it's a good thing you were rejected! The point of the game is not just to be a GM. You can enjoy Myple without being a GM! Don't bash other players or other GMs if your application is rejected, either. This also goes without saying, but nobody wants a GM who hacks!!

I hope this guide can help those of you who are applying to be GMs or other staff members, good luck to everyone!
If this is guide out of line, feel free to delete it. I just thought I'd lend my thoughts at what might help you be chosen as a GM. I'm not a GM here, though I have been a GM on an old server that I can't quite remember the name of and I did run a private server for a bit. I'm not saying this is a qualification for posting, I just thought it might give some insight.

Visit poster’s website AIM Skype
Publicité

PostPosted: Thu 5 Jul - 11:21 (2012)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Kill4Fun
GM
GM

PostPosted: Thu 5 Jul - 12:17 (2012)    Post subject: [GUIDE] Tips for Your GM Application Reply with quote

Epic,Probably Took long time to write all this.

Teddie
Very Great Member

PostPosted: Thu 5 Jul - 15:23 (2012)    Post subject: [GUIDE] Tips for Your GM Application Reply with quote

This is,Very usefull.I Like it.

Teddie wz here~

MSN
seena787
GM
GM

PostPosted: Sat 7 Jul - 22:34 (2012)    Post subject: [GUIDE] Tips for Your GM Application Reply with quote

very nice and detailed/dedicated guide.  i really hope peopel actually read this before they apply

CLICK PLEASE ^^^^

MSN Skype
Tiffy
Nice member

PostPosted: Sun 8 Jul - 00:04 (2012)    Post subject: [GUIDE] Tips for Your GM Application Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile I hope anybody who applies for GM will read it and keep it in mind. ^^

Visit poster’s website AIM Skype
Kill4Fun
GM
GM

PostPosted: Sun 8 Jul - 19:17 (2012)    Post subject: [GUIDE] Tips for Your GM Application Reply with quote

nice guide,there is no need to discuss about it.

/closed

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 21:36 (2018)    Post subject: [GUIDE] Tips for Your GM Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MypleStory , Next Generation of Private Server ! Forum Index -> MypleStory V.55 -> Do you want to join the staff ? All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation